Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Review: Silence

Silence is the third book in the Hush Hush saga and I think this was my favorite in the series so far.  Click here for the link to Barnes and Noble if you would like to read the official synopsis.

At the end of the second book, we have a cliff hanger when Nora and Patch were overtaken at Delphic Amusement Park and separated.  I had to get the next book right away to see what was going to happen. We begin this third book with Nora being found three months later and remembering nothing of the last five months of her life... that's right, five months.  Which means, all memories of Patch are also gone and it seems like no one, not her mom, or her best friend Vee, want her to remember him.  This annoyed me a bit at first because it was just another wrench thrown into the story to keep them from being together a bit longer.  I predicted however, that this couldn't last long and I was right.  Once I read the first couple of chapters, I couldn't put the book down.

The author did an excellent job with Nora's search for her memories.  Nora was smart and determined and her character in my opinion was more admirable than in the first two books.  I really enjoyed her journey toward the truth.  Slowly, little pieces begin to come back to her through a combination of instinct, flashes of memory, and strange occurrences. Patch enters her life again, somewhat reluctantly at first, but then can't stay away and finally tells her what really happened when she was taken.  Once she puts it all together, she and Patch must try to stop the villain, who threatens everyone she loves.  Vee and Scott Parnell, also known  as "Scottie the Hottie" both return for a smaller part in this story but I got the impression toward the end that they will both have a bigger role in the final book.

This book, like many others I have read (City of Bones, Twilight, The Host, etc.), has a set of rival groups with several individuals in each who don't agree with the majority.  Those characters usually end up working together for the greater good.  In this book we have Patch, who is a fallen angel, and Scott, who is Nephilim, who in my prediction for the next book, will work as a team to help Nora on her quest to stop the brewing war between the two groups.  Will there be a love triangle?  I don't think so this late in the series but you never know.

I won't spoil the ending of the book but I was definitely satisfied and look forward to the final installment of the series, which I will most likely purchase today. My hopes...well, I always like a good deal of adventure, a little romance, some suspense, and an ultimately happy ending.  I guess I will have to wait and see if those hopes become a reality.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment