Thursday, September 10, 2015

Review: A Curious Beginning


Less than two weeks ago, I mentioned in a review that The Girl on the Train was going into my "Best Books of 2015" list.  I still have every intention of adding it, but this book, A Curious Beginning, is going to be right next to it.  The beautiful cover was the first thing I noticed and it attracted me to the book right away.  I knew Deanna Raybourn was also the author of the Lady Julia Gray mysteries, which I adored, so when I was contacted to read and review her newest work, I was excited and it went right to the top of my TBR list.  I'm so glad I dove right in right away because this book was just as much fun as her other series and engaged me immediately.  I love a good British mystery and this book delivered exactly what I was hoping for.  

As with her Lady Julia Gray series, the main character in A Curious Beginning is a fascinating study.  Veronica Speedwell (a great name for a British heroine if I do say so myself) is a woman ahead of her time.  She is a female scientist who oozes independent thinking, women's rights, and who of course, is a supporter of the free love movement, much to the shock and dismay of her peers in this time period.  Veronica's forward thinking and blunt conversational style produce quite a few laughs throughout the story.  The mystery itself reveals itself once we are acquainted with Veronica's situation and revolves around a murder connecting to her past. She teams up with a sexy but shady (and initially unwilling) sidekick/protector and the interplay between the two is full of clever wit and shenanigans. We are sent on an adventure with various clues, red herrings, and a bit of intrigue. Anyone who is a fan of Amelia Peabody or Mary Russell will adore Veronica Speedwell. I'll certainly be on the look out for the next book in the series.

                                                                                                                                           post signature

2 comments:

  1. Just started this one, and am enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a couple of weeks ago and Loved IT! I'm not a huge Victorian fan and don't read a lot of historicals although that may change, but I love a heroine with moxie and Veronica certainly had that in spades! Great read.

    ReplyDelete