Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Review: Her Dark Curiosity

I cannot express how much I am enjoying The Madman's Daughter series.  I've chosen to listen to the books on Audible since I drive forty minutes to and from work each day and each book is about 10-12 hours of listening.  However, with both of the first two books, I found myself listening at every chance I got, including walking on the treadmill, on my Amazon Echo while cooking, and while waiting to pick up my children from their various activities.  


I think what I love about these books the most is that they each connect to a classic that is reminiscent of my childhood, whether I read the original or saw a film based upon it.  The first book, The Madman's Daughter, was loosely based on the story of The Island of Dr. Moreau.  The second installment, Her Dark Curiosity, brings what can compare to Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Finally, the conclusion of the series, A Cold Legacy, will connect to the story of Frankenstein.  I'm so looking forward to starting it this afternoon. If you haven't read the first book, you may not want to read ahead, although I have done my best not to spoil.

Her Dark Curiosity continues to focus on the life of Juliet Moreau, daughter of the infamous mad scientist Dr. Moreau.  She has returned from the island and discovered that she has been followed by Edward, a man she cared very much but who also has a much darker and more dangerous side.  The story revolves around Juliet trying to cure him and keep him from the chaos that ensues when he loses control.  As the story progresses, a conspiracy is uncovered, other island members return, and Juliet continues to be torn about her own inner self and between the two men in her life.  We are introduced to a few new and very well written characters, including Elizabeth, who seems will have a larger roll in the third book, and we also see a just end to a few characters who are quite deserving of their finale (in my opinion anyway).  Murder and mayhem are in no short supply and a few disturbingly gory sections had me both amazed and horrified at the same time.  I was enthralled each time I listened to the story and I can honestly say that there wasn't one moment where I was bored or distracted. I was so excited as the end approached and I started to figure out which classic story the next book would originate from.  Don't read the synopsis on Amazon if you want to figure it out for yourself.  It's much more fun that way.

I highly recommend this entire trilogy.  Rarely do I come across a series where I can truly say that the second book was as good as the first, if not better.  I have high hopes for the third and I am sure I won't be disappointed.

                                                                                                                                          post signature

2 comments:

  1. Ah, found the review. Well I guess I'd better pick it up! I originally was intrigued because I love The Island of Doctor Moreau, but you make it sound like the story stands on its own two feet, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely does. I'm reading the third book now and it is also very engaging. :)

      Delete